Thursday, July 4, 2013

Day 06


 Day 06

More and more driving through cornfields.  Illinois certainly give Indiana a run for its money in the corn department.  The first stop today was the Soulsby Station in Mt. Olive.  I don't know if anybody runs it.  It was open and I got to go through which was cool.  A bunch of old signage and coke machines and such.





It's pretty cool that this place is still up.  Idk who is keeping it going.  I assume there's some sort of restoration effort otherwise it would have been locked up and in disrepair. 

I came across this gypsy-esque flea market.  closed I assume for the holiday.  Implying World's Largest Rocking Chair but really that's supposed to be in Missouri.

I wanted to sit in it but there was a two foot high rope in the way.  Foiled.

Henry's Rabbit Ranch was next stop.  Man this place is the best I've seen so far.  Henry is super friendly and knows so much about Route 66.  He started this little ranch of Route 66 signs and cars and pumps as a hobby.  This place is a must see if you ever go on the road.  Awesome guy.  Awesome place.  Awesome rabbits.








Quickly stopped to see a few signs.


World's largest ketchup bottle slash normal size water tower.  It's not really on Route 66.  It's a bit away in Collinsville but it's in the same spirit.

I bypassed St. Louis entirely.  They do Fourth of July big and half of the bridges and city streets were closed and the rest I'm sure were traffic jammed.  No worries St. Louis, I shall return one day.

3 comments:

  1. So far so good! I hope you're at least finding some great diners along the way (that are OPEN!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pics. Aside from having some very cool subjects to photograph, are you using any particular camera or filters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. I wish I could do that with just camera settings but it's just a really basic point and shoot and photoshop.

      Delete