Monday, July 8, 2013

Day 10

Day 10

Today I went left Kansas and entered Oklahoma.  If I didn't spend the night in Kansas I probably would have passed through in about five minutes.  66 only goes through a very small corner of Kansas.  They're proud of it though.  All those businesses have 66 in the title.  The first stop in Oklahoma was the Afton DX Station.  It was pretty awesome there.  The lady that ran the place was super friendly and talkative.  She let me take a look at two showrooms of old restored Packards. 











I drove quite a lot today.  I got to see one of the most iconic stops.  The Catoosa Whale is included in just about every book or guide about Route 66.  It has been restored and is being run by passionate volunteers that just want to see it open.  It's a giant blue whale in a small pond off the highway.  You used to be able to walk in his mouth and slide out the side or jump of the tail.  Not anymore.  The pond is filled with snakes.  I saw quite a few slithering around so I didn't feel like sticking around for more than a few pictures.  The volunteers there want to restore an Ark in the back lot as a sort of museum to the man who created the whale and ark.

Next stop Tulsa.  This whole city seems to be under construction.  I know there have been some tornadoes recently and idk if that had anything to do with this.  It took forever to see just a few things.  First of all I couldn't help myself but stop and see my own park.  It was pretty disappointing.

Then the State Fair Grounds to check out a muffler man on steroids.  The Golden Driller.


Easily two to three times bigger than any of the other muffler men.  Next was a couple of drive in theaters.  Not much to look at really.  I'll save internet space by not posting pictures a blank screens.  The Skyliner Motel sign. 

Last thing before I stopped for the day.  I stumbled upon the Pops station.  I was looking for it I just didn't expect to find it where I did.  It's a giant Coke bottle sculpture / gas station / restaurant / souvenir shop.  It's neat.  The food smelled really nice but I didn't stop to eat.  It looks cool at night too.

That's it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment