Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Day 12

Day 11 and 12

Last day in Oklahoma.  A lot of driving in the past two days.  There were a few stops.  And a loooonnngg distance between them.  I think I drove about 300 a day.  I thought Oklahoma would be more flat.  Not true.  Lots of hills and they're bright red.  Absolutely amazing to see.  I stopped to see the Mohawk Lodge and Indian Trading Store.  It's in all the guide books but you really have to look for it.  It's been around since 1892.  It looks just like a regular house.  I really wasn't sure I was there but I rang the bell and waited around a few minutes.  Patricia Henry and her husband run the store.  I believe they said that we were technically in Indian territory.  They are both super friendly and had a lot of stories to tell.  Their whole front parlor is packed tightly with authentic Indian made gear.  They have a great relationship with the local Indians.  Really high quality wares.




Made a quick stop into the Oklahoma Route 66 Museum still in Clinton, OK.  Neat stuff.  Mostly more of the same creepy wax figures with old cars.  Signage and stuff.  Nothing really stands out here.






Only one more stop yesterday.  The National Route 66 Museum in Elk City.  A lot of interesting things but I was kinda expecting more for a National Museum.










That was it for yesterday.  It doesn't seem like a lot now but the drive between locations was quite long.  It was a pretty full day. 
Today was even longer.  I think I drove about ten hours today.  At least half of that was within the city of Amarillo.  I won't go into it but I need to work out some kinks in my planning. 
Left Oklahoma and entered Texas.  Shamrock is the first real stop in Texas.  I saw this iconic building that you'll probably recognize from Cars.

Went to another museum in Shamrock called the Pioneer West Museum.  It was.... interesting.  I'm still digesting it I guess.  So many mannequins. 
The last stop before Amarillo was the Devil's Rope Museum.  This museum is dedicated to barbed wire.  I had no idea there were so many types.  Most of these museums had a display of different barbed wire but this place pisses on them.  A whole warehouse of barbed wires.  There was also a display of Route 66 things.


So I get into Amarillo and spend most of my day driving around to different spots in the city.  The road layout is pretty neat.  Other cities could take a page out of Amarillo's book.  Ate at the famous Big Texan.  I didn't go after the 72 oz steak challenge.  I know myself.
Saw the Amarillo Muffler Man too.

Got to the hotel which was so close to the awesome Cadillac Ranch.  I was going to see it the next day but I thought I had time.  Got there just in time for sunset.  Here's some sweet pics that made the rest of this long day worth it.



 Yep.  That's it for today.  I like this picture to finish it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment